Sunday, May 2, 2010

Sexy Compost Container

The wife has been complaining about my "freestyle" compost heap taking up too much space in the backyard, so I decided to do something about it today. It is 4' in diameter and 3' tall (about 30 bushels or 1.4 cubic yards). I use it to hold the "brown" matter to add with my lawn clippings. The grass needs to be mixed with leaves to break down properly, I keep the leaves from the fall and add them to the grass throughout the summer.

This design uses 6' cedar fence boards (9 of them) 6" wide. I cut them exactly in half.



I laid them out and stapled them together with 3/4 galvanized staples, using plumber's tape (pipe hanging tape).


It's a little unweildy at first, but when it begins to fill up, it takes shape better.

There, that's better.

She's gonna love it...

1 comment:

  1. I have found a compost kitchen container before and I really want to have one at least. Great job! This is definitely easier to mix the compost.

    ReplyDelete