Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Galvanized Fence Tents

Here is an especially handy way to make a series of general purpose trellises. I used 2 pieces of 1/2 x 10' EMT Conduit (I paid $1.56 at Lowes), cut them exactly in half, flattened the ends and punched a 5/16 hole in the flattened end (it can be drilled). These sections were bolted together, and I used zip ties (wire ties) to attach 2 x 4 fencing (5' tall) to the surface. The nice thing is that the dimensions work out perfectly. I also use these as greenhouses/cold frames in the time before the last frost date. It may be nice to have larger openings to be able to reach inside, but the 2 x 4 fencing is really affordable ( I paid $41.00 for a 50 foot roll at Lowes on 2-27-2010). 50 ft. is enough to do 10 frames (5 tents). I did 9 tents and am using the leftover fencing to make my "cup holders."



I will be putting black plastic underneath the tents before the weeds get too active.



I am currently growing green beans, lima beans, cucumbers, and cantaloupe on my four tents.

1 comment:

  1. the market have been galvanized with zinc. When purchasing the fencing material, do not buy the first one you come across. vinyl gates

    ReplyDelete